Title: Windows server admin
Location: Salt Lake City, UT – OR – Eagan, MN
1 year / possible conversion
IS U.S. Citizenship Required:
1 Skype interview
Level 1 Windows Incident Support Analyst
Day to Day Work
The Level 1 Windows Incident Support Analyst supports and maintains Windows servers, patching, instant messaging, MS Exchange, database environments and/or host infrastructures. This includes responding to system outages, maintenance, and other problems, and being the first point of contact for documented hardware and software problems.
- Handle day-to-day change management issues within the guidelines of the Unisys Global Incident Management process and adhering to client requirements and deliverables.
- Learning and understanding of tickets status and updates to logs in the ticketing tools is crucial.
- Working with Unisys vendors and clients, the Command Center staff must provide guidance, visibility and proper communication to Unisys management.
- At times follow proper escalation procedures for both Unisys and client notifications.
- Delivers first level remote hardware and software support services to clients to resolve product use and multi-product/platform problems, and/or questions relating to enterprise systems, networks and application software, as well as desktop applications that are beyond the scope of the client’s first level help desk support function.
- Provides referrals and/or dispatches to other service providers to ensure that client’s service level and technical requirements are met.
- Provides alerts and situation status information to both client and Unisys management.
- Coordinates critical customer issues as well as new product and/or system implementations.
- Participates in patching of servers for multiple clients using industry recognized tools and methodology.
Specific to Domain Areas: Messaging Server Management
- System Management – Responsible for the day to day support of computer systems running on a host operating system. These may be stand-alone, hosted and virtual, or networked systems and may exist in homogenous or heterogeneous environments. Some of these tasks are:
- Monitor system performance, service availability, scheduled maintenance tasks and event logs for normal operations. Apply documented system and security patches to ensure the security and stability of the environment.
- Perform technical system performance monitoring.
- Perform hardware and/or software maintenance.
- Ensure proper backups are made of systems to allow for recovery of systems and data.
- Monitor system capacity against specific capacity plans.
- Document basic reporting procedures for common tasks.
- Assist in implementation of basic, recurring change request.
- Perform minor changes with the oversight of a more senior analyst.
- Incident Management – Perform initial incident investigation, resolve well defined or basic technical issue incidents using documented procedures and obtain recovery of normal operations as quickly as possible.
- Change Management – Document basic change implementation plans and execute the plans reviewed and approved by senior analysts. Perform basic with the oversight of a higher-level analyst.
- Problem Management – Gather and document information to assist with the root cause or escalate to tier 3 for solution.
- Consulting –Assist senior analysts in supporting specific client environments.
- Install approved patches and reboots to ensure services are online and working properly.
- Troubleshoot routine client server issues in messaging storage spaces (drives) on the server.
- Monitor antivirus updates to servers.
- Monitor scheduled tasks and maintenance jobs as directed.
- Experience working in a data center supporting host systems.
- A minimum of 6 months of experience in Windows user administration and Windows domains.
- A knowledge of Windows Active Directory, DNS and DHCP.
- Knowledge of other Microsoft Server products.
- Microsoft certifications for Windows Server 2008 required. (2012 a plus)
- Knowledge of commercial backup solutions from Symantec and similar platforms.
- Familiar with SAN and NAS storage systems
- Ability to work with customers and other technical teams.
- Knowledge of standard networking ports and protocols.
- Ability to follow documented patch management solutions.
- Familiarity with IT Service Management terms and processes.
- Must be available for after-hours on-call rotation
- Must be available for varying shifts on a possible rotating basis, including nights and weekend